PLA 101 Face-to-Face Workshop
Now, more than ever before, it is important to find innovative ways to increase enrollment and reach out to adult learners. The Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) is hosting a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) workshop in Chicago, IL April 22 and 23, 2014.
Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:00 – 6:00 p.m. (Break included)
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Lunch and breaks included)
The workshop venue is The Palmer House Hilton located at 17 East Monroe Street in Chicago. We have arranged for a block of guest rooms at a rate of $119/night. To reserve a room at this special CAEL rate, please click here to make online reservations or call 877-865-5321.
Workshop Description and Outcomes:
CAEL’s PLA 101 workshop provides the basic “nuts and bolts” of how to design and implement PLA at colleges and universities. This one-and-a-half day workshop will help institutions design and implement a program that is both attractive to students and consistent with high academic standards. The overall goal of the CAEL PLA 101 workshop is to provide faculty and practitioners who are new to the PLA process with the tools and insight they need to best serve adult learners in their institutions. Participants will also be better prepared to act as internal advocates within their own colleges and universities for establishing principles of good practice.
A secondary goal for the PLA 101 workshop is to build a national network of skilled and informed PLA professionals who can provide leadership within higher education on the importance of CAEL standards for good practice in prior learning assessment.
At the completion of the workshop, participants will:
• Have a deep understanding of the principles and value of experiential learning.
• Understand the history and development of prior learning assessment in higher education.
• Be able to advance the CAEL principles of best practice in prior learning assessment.
• Be familiar with the steps, tools, and procedures in the PLA process with an emphasis on portfolio development.
• Be able to articulate the roles and responsibilities of those involved in the PLA process.
• Better understand the administrative principles of prior learning assessment.
• Be able to articulate to various audiences the value of prior learning assessment.
• Be able to bypass the first workshop in the CAEL PLA online workshop and, with successful completion of an assessment exercise, begin with workshop two in the online certification course.
All materials are included in the cost of this one and one-half day classroom workshop.
CAEL Member Rate - $495
CAEL Member Group Rate - $450 (3 or more from same institution)
Non-Member Rate - $660
Click here to register.