Workshop 1 Starts January 12, 2015 and June 8, 2015
Workshop 2 Starts February 23, 2015 and July 20, 2015
Workshop 3 Starts April 27, 2015 and September 21, 2015
Workshop 4 Starts June 15, 2015 and November 9, 2015
Learn to develop a professional portfolio assessment system for your institution, or strengthen your institution’s existing prior learning assessment (PLA) programs, by completing the online PLA certificate program. Offered by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) and DePaul University this program provides the basic tools to develop skills and procedures for assessing adults’ prior learning. The program is delivered over the Internet, allowing you to participate at any time, from any place, all you need is e-mail capability and a web browser.
How Does It Work?
The PLA certificate program consists of four web-based workshops each with 4-7 modules. During each workshop, participants work through a series of structured activities employing online and off-line materials. Each group of participants is assigned an online consultant to facilitate learning and provide feedback. Participants may discuss issued and activities within their learning group.
PLA Workshop 1: This introductory workshop is intended for those with little or no experience with PLA concepts or practices. In this workshop you will become familiar with the language of PLA, a set of standards for the assessment of learning and the procedural steps to run an assessment process.
PLA Workshop 2: This workshop builds on the fundamentals of PLA covered in Workshop 1, including how to apply prior learning assessment principles to the series of decisions that make up assessment activity.
PLA Workshop 3: This workshop focuses on quality assurance and the integration of activities, policies and procedures that ensure that a program's practices are congruent with its goals.
PLA Workshop 4: This workshop focuses on additional quality assurance and the integration of activities, policies and procedures that ensure that a program's practices are congruent with its goals.
Completion of the first two workshops leads to a Certificate of Achievement in Prior Learning Assessment. Participants who successfully complete all four facilitated workshops will be granted a Certificate of Mastery in Prior Learning Assessment.
The Online Program will help you to:
- Understand principles of experiential learning, including the value of experiential learning for adults.
- Understand and apply the steps and procedures in the PLA process.
- Understand the links between experience and learning, and be able to determine college-level learning gained from experience.
- Discriminate between college-level and pre-college-level learning.
- Understand the history and development of prior learning assessment.
- Know and be able to apply principles of best practice in prior learning assessment.
- Apply administrative principles of prior learning assessment within the context of your institution.
- Be able to articulate to various audiences the value of prior learning assessment.
This program provides an opportunity to certify your knowledge and application of the CAEL Standards and Principles for assessment as an individual practitioner. It does not certify the practices and policies of programs, organizations, or institutions.
Workshop 4 Starts June 16, 2014
For more information and to register click here.